Tuesday, November 17, 2015

5 stars for The Ghost and Mrs. McClure by Cleo Coyle (writing as Alice Kimberly)



The Ghost and Mrs. McClure is one of the Haunted Bookshop Mysteries by Cleo Coyle. Ms. Coyle (writing as Alice Kimberly) has done a bang-up job of weaving a tale so intriguing you can't put it down!

Penelope McClure is now co-owner of Buy the Book with her crazy Aunt Sadie. Setting up the newly refurbished bookstore for an Author event has someone in the lurch & not liking it one bit! Enter PI Jack Shield- resident ghost of the building for the last 1/2 century. What is it about this new dame that has him scratching his head?

The events unfold with a raucous ton of hilarity and quick one-liners. Throw in some history with self-doubt and you've got the MO of the story! The feel & atmosphere of this book in parts are right out of 40's & 50's... the language and attitude of Jack is so refreshing!! 

***Spoiler's (sort of)***

Favorite Lines:

"I'm a postal worker, buster!" Seymour cried, a vein bulging on his forehead. "Do you really want a piece of me?!"

"How am I feeling?" I repeated. "Like a full floor display got dropped on my head from the top of the Empire State Building. I swear I'll never touch hard liquor again."

"Baby, sounds to me like you're a picture being fitted for a frame, and the name of that frame is murder."

"Yeah. Right. Not like you, ya bloated, barstool raconteur!"

I absolutely loved this book and am looking forward to the other ones in this series!

Amazon link

No comments:

Post a Comment